Saturday, December 03, 2011

New: Donating to Gannett Blog just got easier! Makes a terrific holiday gift for your favorite CEO

More than 10,000 readers visit Gannett Blog every month, viewing more than 250,000 pages of award-winning news, analysis and commentary about the nation's No. 1 newspaper publisher.

Access is free. That's why I'm grateful to the more than 200 readers this year who've accepted my challenge to make voluntary financial contributions. (One reader gives like clockwork: $5, on the first of every month.)

My income goal remains the same: $16,000 a year, including advertising sales that currently average about 70% of that total.

Today, I'm introducing a new way to make online donating easier than ever. You can now choose gifts that renew automatically. All you need is a major credit card and a PayPal account. (Don't have an account? No problem. It takes literally seconds to create one.)

Best of all, this arrives just in time for holiday giving. Whoo-hoo!

Here's how it works
1. Go to the new "Subscribe" section in the green sidebar, right. (Mobile users: Please click on the "view web version" link at the bottom of your screen.)

2. Choose one of these payment options:
  • $20 once a year
  • $5 monthly
  • $10 monthly
3. Click the Subscribe button.

4. If you have an existing PayPal account, enter your password. (No account? When prompted, just enter an e-mail address and choose a password: It's that simple.)

5. Complete credit card information -- and you're done!

Your gifts will now be made automatically according to the schedule you picked.

Opt out easily
Just click the Unsubscribe button.

As always, you can still make one-time contributions; simply click on the "Donate" button. Don't like shopping online? Just mail cash or checks to:

Jim Hopkins
584 Castro St. #823
San Francisco, Calif. 94114-2594

A gift for the CEO!
Did I mention this new feature is available just in time for your end-of-year traditional holiday-of-choice gift giving season?

E-mail jimhopkins[at]gmail[dot-com] and I'll send an Official Gannett Blog acknowledgement card to the recipient of your choice.

You can be completely anonymous; just provide a name and address. Perhaps your publisher, general manager or other boss equivalent? Or maybe to a certain Gannett CEO. You decide!


  1. Some facts about my donors:

    * about 80% of gifts are made online; the other 20% are cash or checks by U.S. mail (many with no return addresses or names attached)

    * the median contribution is $10

    * the average is just under $20

    * many readers give $5 at a time

    * 10% of gifts this year exceeded $50 each

    * one reader gave a combined $550

    *The all-time biggest donation from a single reader: $1,000

  2. Sending a thank you card to the donor's favorite Gannett executive ... brilliant! ROFL!

  3. Hah! I've just received a $25 contribution from a reader who wants me to send an acknowledgement card to the Gannett supervisor who laid 'em off.

  4. Great approach and hope this does well.

  5. Sounds like a real commercial endeavor. When do you form a union?, $16,000 us below scale


Jim says: "Proceed with caution; this is a free-for-all comment zone. I try to correct or clarify incorrect information. But I can't catch everything. Please keep your posts focused on Gannett and media-related subjects. Note that I occasionally review comments in advance, to reject inappropriate ones. And I ignore hostile posters, and recommend you do, too."

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.